For this blog, I decided to interview a woman who is going through menopause and has decided to take hormones. Before I talk about my interview, I would like provide a few facts about hormones and what they do to a woman’s body when taken during menopause.
Hormone therapy, also known as HT, consists of a combination of estrogens and progesterone. These two hormones provide a balance for every woman and are very important to a woman’s health. When a woman goes through menopause, it is most likely because the balances between the estrogen and progesterone levels are unbalanced. This can cause some health complications if the level of estrogen is higher than the level of progesterone. Women use hormone therapy to control symptoms of menopause such as low estrogen levels, hot flashes and vaginal dryness.
So, the women I chose to interview for this blog was my mom. My mom has been going through menopause for about six years and it’s actually been quite interesting to observe her and the things she goes through daily. And it’s not cruel to say that because she is, after all, my mom! J Not that menopause is entertaining, but watching my mom go through it has almost been funny because of how she reacts to it. She always says that she is losing her mind because she can never remember where she puts things. Her mood swings are bizarre and I won’t even mention what she does when she goes through hot flashes! She’ll actually stick her head in the fridge! She’s such a character but I love her. My mom, fortunately, has recently decided to take hormones because she says her symptoms have been over the top lately. She has decided to do this because she feels like she has gone through more than enough, what she calls, “torture” and is ready to live her life normally again. To her, menopause isn’t a bad thing she just feels like it has put a damper on her self esteem and she wants to feel better about herself again.
I respect my mom for everything she has gone through. I am the spitting image of her so I’m sure one day I am going to go through the exact same thing she has been going through with the exact same symptoms. I only hope I am as strong as she is and as light hearted as she is about the situation. Something like menopause can be really hard for some women, but I think it’s important to look at it as something that is just a part of life. I’m happy to report that since my mom has been on hormones, her symptoms have decreased and she says she a lot happier now.
No comments:
Post a Comment