Carla Keeley
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Blog #7: Are STD's Associated with Social Status?
Contracting an STD is a very sad and unfortunate thing, but I believe that the type of environment a person surrounds him or herself with can be a major factor on whether or not they have an STD. Some may call that being prejudice about the situation, but I believe that if I surround myself with positive people and friends, I am more likely to stay clear of the people that chose to live a promiscuous life style. Most of the time when you hear of a person with an STD, they are either from a lower social status, are promiscuous with many people or both. Not to say that all lower class people have STD's, but it just seems that the majority of the statistics when it comes to STD's are based on lower social status families and specific ethnicities. So to answer the question as to whether or not I believe promiscuity and social status play a role in the contraction of an STD, my answer is yes. I do believe it has something to do with a person's surroundings and actions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hello Carla,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that that an environment that people are in makes up the decisions they make whether they are positive or negative behaviors. I think that not only the environment that a person lives in but also the way a person is raised makes up some of the choices they make. I think that behaviors are learned and so if a person is taught that it is okay to engage in sex or other risky behaviors then they are more likely too. I also agree with you that the people you surround yourself around also impact the decisions you make. Unfortunately people living in low social status families are more vulnerable of getting STDs but I believe that it is primarily due to lack of education. The reality is, is that all we can do is educate people on making healthier decisions and aid in making better choices for everyone in hopes that people are willing to make the appropriate changes. Enough people willing to change will, which will hopefully decrease the amount of people infected with STDs.
-Brittany LeBron
Carla,
ReplyDeleteI disagree with your opinion. STD's do not discriminate, when lawyers, doctors and Wall street men go fetch a woman off the street, are they considered low class? Or the woman who lives in a mansion and sleeping with the pool boy is that low social status? They might be doing an unclassy thing but does not neccessarily mean they are of low class. Yes promiscuous individuals put themselves at a higher risk to contract STD's but agian there are promiscuous people in all classes. Low social class just happens to have the extra lights shinned on them due to their status in life. STDS do not discriminate and does not matter what color, class, place or money you have, when you have sex you are taking the chance to exposing your self period.
-Dana Anderson