Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Blog #13

Is it better to put drug addicts in jail or to send them to mandatory drug treatment programs?

This is an interesting question, I think. Is it better to send an addict to jail or to a treatment facility...hummm?? Well, in Lindsay Lohan's case I think it's better to just send her to jail!! That girl just won't learn her lesson! But seriously, with someone that actually cares about getting better I think it would be more beneficial to send them to a treatment facility to get better. Sending a person with a addiction problem to jail just doesn't seem logical. I say that because if a person really truly has a problem, what good is it going to do sending them somewhere where every other person has an addiction problem as well?? Being addicted to a drug isn't just something that goes away over night... I'm assuming. ;) Judging by the stories I hear and the movies I see, a drug addict, most of the time, wants to get better but unfortunately believe that doing drugs is the only thing that can make them happy. So to answer the question, unless you are Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan I think the best method to helping a drug addict overcome their addiction is to send them to a treatment facility to get better. :)

Carla Keeley

3 comments:

  1. Hello Carla,
    I must say that I completely agree with you on sending a drug addict to treatment instead of jail. However, I do still think that after a patient seeks treatment they should still do the time since they have broken the law. I just don’t believe that a crime should go unpunished because the laws are the laws and they should be obeyed. I also agree with you that famous people such as Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton should probably skip treatment and just be punished by going to jail for breaking the laws, since this will obviously be the appropriate punishment for them.
    -Brittany LeBron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carla,
    I completely agree with you about Lindsey Lohan..LOL As for someone who you may care about or someone who is seriously trying to get better I think that the more loved ones they have around them and supporting then the more they are able to get better. As for sending them to jail more than likely that isnt going to help them get better because from so many things you see on tv as well as hear drugs are just as available in jail.
    Melissa V

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carla,

    I will have to say that it all really depends on who and how long the person has been addicted. I just recently watched a documentary on PBS where it they interviewed heroin addicts. Did you know that 9 of 10 heroin addicts relapse??? That was unbelievable to me, but one gentleman they interviewed kept going to rehab yet relapsed and everytime he relapsed he would go back to his old ways like stealing and so on. The only way he got sober is when he actually got arrested and had to serve 1 year in jail. He has been sober ever since!!! So my theory is that it depends on the addiction, the drug and the situation because it looks like rehabs are doing too well in their success rates.

    Dana Anderson

    ReplyDelete