Blog #11: With Our Future In Mind
- If everyone lived "with our future in mind", do you think that we would live differently?
I like this question. Just the other day I was having a conversation with my family about how the world would be if we all thought about the future and what it holds for us. If only we knew what kind of cars we would be driving or what clothes we'd be wearing. What type of music will be popular or what new laws will we have? Sometimes, if I think about the future too much I start to get a little nervous. The reason is because since I don't have any kids yet, I'm sure my future children will have to face these new challenges which makes me a little uneasy. I know our "world" isn't horrible, but it's also not the best. I think that if everyone focused more on what our future had in store..... it still wouldn't affect how people live. It's sad to say, but in my opinion I don't think people really care about the future a whole lot. If people truly cared about the future, than we wouldn't see as much pollution and carelessness with our environment. I think this question not only points out our "environmental" future but I also think it points out our "social" future. How are people going to be and act 50 years from now?... If we're even here 50 years from now..... :/
Carla Keeley
Hi Carla,
ReplyDeleteThinking about the future and if everyone lived is almost scary to even think about. I have children myself and sometimes I wonder what life is going to be like for their children after they are grown and it is just so hard to even imagine. One thing I do know is that think of how much college is now much less in 50 years... Is anyone even going to be able to go?? I do think that some people may live differently if they thought they were always going to be around but then again people may also say "well I'm gonna be around so I might as well do whatever I want if I am not going to die" I think if everyone lived it would be pretty chaotic.
Melissa V
Carla,
ReplyDeleteIt is sad that most people are too focused on today and what they can enjoy and attain in this minute. It is refreshing to see your concern for the future even 50 years from now. I think you touched on a point that has changed about our cultures view of the future; this is in regards to children. It does not seem that as many people are having children or see their children as their future. Children do not seem to be the place where we want to pass on our legacy. If people have no vestment in the future then they have no true reason to change their lives today to improve tomorrow.
Carla,
ReplyDeleteYou are correct about the future and what most people are doing about it. I believe it all has to do with how you were raised, your socioeconmic status, culture and education level. Just like the movie Powerful Noise, you cannot control the past but you can make a difference now for a better future whether it is health, education or a change in behaviors that have been done for generations. We cannot give up on the future even when we see others failing at it. It always just takes one to start making a difference.
Dana Anderson
The future is very important but the current time is now and we as individuals need to make it the best that we can. I believe even just one person who helps someone can make life all the more worth while and have something to live for.
ReplyDelete