Thursday, September 9, 2010

Blog #2

What I found to be the most alarming in Chapter 2 would definitely have to be estimated cost for care in a nursing home. At the present time, it is said that the national average cost for care in a nursing home is more that $75,190 for a private room and $52,000 for a semi-private room…whatever that means. But get this, according to a recent survey, the cost for nursing care is expected to dramatically increase to a whopping $190,600 for only a semi-private room in year 2030!!! That just sounds insane to me! Can you imagine having to spend almost $200,000 in only a year so you can take care of your sick grandma?? Wow!

My thoughts on the access to health care are pretty straight forward. I believe anyone should be entitled to proper health care. On page 28 of our textbook, it talks about how President Clinton tried to establish universal health insurance in the United States, similar to the way it is in Canada and the United Kingdom. I like that idea, but unfortunately it didn’t go through.

I believe that the state of health care right now in the United States is improving somewhat. It’s good to see that the government is offering health care to low-income families with children. With that said, there is still HUGE room for improvement!

Carla Keeley

New Dimension’s in Women’s Health (Fifth Edition), pg. 30.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Carla,
    I was shocked as well to find out how much it costs for a nursing home. I also think we are headed in the right direction with the reform Obama has passed. We can only hope that one day we will have a system like European countries do so if I or a loved one has to go to a nursing home when the time comes we are able to afford and not worry about quality care in the last years of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla-
    I am always amazed at the cost of nursing homes/assisted living facilities! When someone gets to old or unable to care for themselves in their own home, their family decides what should happen next. Whether it be moving in with family or to a facility. What's more alarming are the stories you hear about the horrific care that is given at some of these facilities that are charging an arm and a leg! My mom works for an underwriting insurance company and the amount of cases against nursing homes for abuse is insane! It makes me feel very uneasy!

    **disclaimer** I'm not saying all nursing facilities are bad, but I have heard about many of them. So, just beware. Just because you pay and arm and leg does not mean you get incredible care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elder care is truly an urgent issue in our country. The costs of care in a facility is staggering and oftentimes children (usually daughters) are unable to provide care because they are working full time and caring for children, and many times grandchildren. My parents are in their 80's and not in the best of health, so I know that at some point in the near future my brothers and I will have to make some difficult decisions about their care. We come from a long line of long-lived people so I also see a time in the future when I may not be able to live alone. It's a very sobering thought.

    ReplyDelete